Friday, December 11, 2020

Old Problems, New Perspective

 Recently, I pulled out three piano solo works that I attempted (and failed.  Abysmally.) to perform thirty years ago.  Each of the three presented insurmountable problems both in technique and in reading.  But primarily in reading.  I was thirty, freshly out of university, where I got thrown out of three voice studios because I couldn't sight-read the material, and therefore was forced to change my degree from a Bachelors in Performance to Bachelors in Musical Arts six months before graduation. I was painfully aware that I could not simultaneously read and play. To complicate matters, I could not understand why I could not sight-read.  As a pianist, sight-reading is a basic task, absolutely necessary to be considered a legitimate pianist. I had slaved through tested-and-proven methods of learning to sight-read, and failed those miserably.  My husband and I played for church service every week, but instead of reading the score, I used chord symbols so I only had to read the treble clef, which of course did not help my overall problem.  So, I decided to tackle the issue from the other end.  That is, I chose outrageously difficult pieces to learn, which to my way of thinking, could only help me when I later chose works that didn't look like the composer suffered an epileptic fit....

Wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  I embarrassed myself multiple times when I tried to perform these pieces.  If it had been only a memory problem, I could have fixed that.  My issues ran to basic note reading; that is, not understanding (at all) the patterns on the page, no matter how much I practiced.  As a result, memory became as insurmountable a problem as trying to read the notation.

The first work I attempted was the Chopin Ballade, Op.38.  I had (mostly) successfully learned and performed the A-flat Ballade (Op.47).  I loved the foreshadowing created in the introduction of the second ballade, and I loved the explosion of emotion when the piece turns to a minor.  It looked scary, lots (and lots) of accidentals that covered up the notes I needed to identify.  But it was the shortest of the four ballades, and I decided to tackle the beast.  The problem I encountered was my inability to recognize chord patterns among all the accidentals.  Chopin exploits the diminished seventh pattern all over that piece, and I see that clearly now, thirty years later.  The question I can't answer is why couldn't I see those patterns thirty years ago, straight out of five years of music theory and lessons?

The second piece I'm revisiting is the Prokofiev Toccata.  I have loved this work ever since the first time I heard it.  When I first looked at the score, my initial reaction was no way.  There was no way I could ever learn this piece, because I couldn't see the page for all the notes.  And accidentals.  Again. All over.  Forget whether I possessed the technique to play the darned thing.  But I worked on it anyway, precisely because I felt it could only help my reading problem.

Sound ridiculous?  Like I lost some (or all) my marbles?

Yes, I agree.  It was ridiculous.  But then, with my inability to read and play, trying to become a functional pianist was also ridiculous.

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment