Thursday, February 20, 2014

Forwards, Backwards, Upside-down, and Inside-Out

I can read ... and write ... forwards, backwards, upside-down, and inside-out.  Arguably useless talents, I agree.  You've seen those paragraphs where the letters of words are all mixed up except the first and last letters?  I read those as easily as "normal" paragraphs.  The problem is that I also see normal words forwards, backwards, upside-down, and/or inside-out, which really slows down my reading.  The same thing occurs when I read music, especially when more than one clef is involved.  I read much better when I'm playing french horn because I'm reading one staff, one note at a time.  Dyslexia trips me up with the note/fingering coordination, dang it, but french horn reading is oh so much less frustrating than reading grand staff!  UGH.  I must read s-l-o-w-l-y because I have to forwards what has become backwards, right what has turned upside-down, re-arrange what has turned inside-out.  That takes TIME.  Lots and lots of TIME.  Yes, I can read music.  I just can't read music fast.  The coolest and most unique thing about piano is the keyboard.  Bless those black and white keys, they never look any different, no matter what direction I play them.  Forwards, backwards, upside-down, and inside-out, I re-create unique sounds, emotions, effects.  And you know what?  Those black keys are always grouped the same, and those white keys never move around.

No comments:

Post a Comment